pages

Monday 17 March 2014

peas birth story

so we start at the very beginning... this is the story of pea's arrival on the 8th of august 2013.

i really enjoyed my pregnancy and never had the urge for it to be over rather sooner than later. i only got a bit nervous as the 7th of august arrived... i suffered from gestational diabetes and the threat to induce labour was hovering over me as we already had an appointment for that on the 8th (the actual due date) in the evening. also it was my not so secret wish that our baby boy is born on the 7th of august so i decided to try a few the tricks i read about from women who couldn't wait for their pregnancy to be over...

i got up with a horrible headache that morning which kept me in bed almost all day, but i managed to get a cinnamon oil bath, drink liters of tonic water and a few cups of raspberry leave tea and eat half a bottle of piri-piri sauce... in the evening i fancied a kebab so we went to the little shop not far from our house. when we were back home there were some tears cause i knew that it wont happen on the 7th of august... we watched some tv (something about minnie driver looking for her grandfather...)  and after i had some ache in my belly i went to bed.

not long before chris came into the bedroom as he heard me breathing very deeply. i finally realized that this must be the actual contractions as it hurt more and more (i had an ache in my belly all day but thought this can't be "it"...). during the day i've downloaded an app to measure contractions... just in time as i had to use it now!



in antenatal class they taught us to go to the hospital when we have contractions every 5 minutes... i called the hospital between two contractions and they told us to come to the hospital asap. fortunately the bag was packed and we left within minutes (and two contraction stops on the way to the car). for some reason i couldn't stop shaking which was quite annoying as it made it even harder to move.

we sat in the car and i closed my eyes, fully concentrating on my breathing and my contractions. we were both very calm although chris said it has never been harder to drive within speed limitations and i feared we might not make it in time. luckily it was in the middle of the night on a wednesday so there was no traffic and within 20 minutes we reached the hospital. the minute i got out the car i had another contraction so they put me in a wheel chair and brought me to a room. 

the very lovely midwife asked me if she shall run a bath for me. it seemed like a pretty good idea as i felt every position on the bed was very uncomfortable. chris had to repark the car (only in switzerland...) and when he came back the clock showed 12:00. he said: "it's not the 7th anymore".

from there everything went very quickly. i was in the bath tub by 12:20 and pea was born on 12:55 (still the 7th in the uk. win-win!). i was very calm during the whole birth and very happy i was able to experience it without any drugs but only by concentrating on myself and the baby. for some reason i had the urge to hold onto something so chris had to hold me up the whole time (thank you, i love you) i had my eyes closed all the time and opened them to see our baby boy for the first time. i took him, said "hallo baby" kissed him on his forehead and said "look at you!" (according to chris). chris got to cut his umbilical cord and then they put the baby on his bare chest. seeing these two just melted my heart and i felt happier than ever in my entire life.

after what felt like forever but was probably only a few minutes they helped me out the tub and i could lie on a warm bed. there we could enjoy the first precious moments as a family of three. we couldn't stop kissing him and just starring at him and feeling so blessed with love and happiness!


51 cm and 3720 gr


No comments:

Post a Comment